It is a life-changing experience to live away from home while still a child, which is why we prioritise the caring, comfortable environment of our boarding houses. Epworth caters for girl boarders from Grade 7 upwards, with termly, weekly and overnight/temporary accommodation available in our boarding houses. Experienced and gentle house-mothers and boarder mistresses take care of our boarders, developing personal relationships with all of ‘their’ girls.
There are currently approximately 160 boarders at Epworth, with about 30 or so beds per grade: around 40% of the high school girls are boarders. There is an increasing call for boarding facilities, with many families seeing the benefits of boarding, both practical (for working parents and single parent families, for example) and educational (girls learn to be independent, socially confident and responsible).
The physical, academic and emotional needs of all of our boarders are of special concern:
- Departure from the school grounds is carefully monitored.
- A clinic and san, managed by qualified nursing sisters, is available 24/7. Should a pupil fall ill during the day, the state of the pupil’s health is assessed and the parents contacted if necessary.
- Healthy, nutritionally balanced and appetising meals are prepared by an outside catering company with the needs of active, growing youngsters in mind. Special dietary requirements are accommodated as far as possible.
- Boarders may use the school’s sporting facilities.
- The boarders’ academic progress and prep sessions are monitored by the Head of Boarding, an academic staff member who resides on the property.
- Outings and trips are arranged over weekends, while the games room and TV room are popular social areas.
The school counselor and female chaplain are available to cater for the boarders’ emotional and spiritual needs.
“The Epworth environment is full of happiness and a certain energy.”
~ Grade 7 Epworth pupil