We know how important it is for boarders to be happy, comfortable and secure in their home-from-home boarding environment. We cater for boarders from Grades 8 to 12 on a weekly, termly and even overnight/temporary basis. Experienced and caring house-mothers and boarder mistresses take care of our boarders, developing personal relationships with all of ‘their’ girls.
There are currently about 180 boarders at Epworth, with 35 or so beds per grade: about 54% of the high school girls are boarders. Boarding is increasingly popular, with many families seeing the benefits of boarding, both practical (for working parents and single-parent families, for example) and educational (girls learn to be independent, socially confident and responsible).
The physical, academic and emotional needs of all of our boarders are of special concern:
- Departure from the school grounds is carefully monitored.
- A clinic and san, managed by qualified nursing sisters, is available 24/7. Should a girl fall ill during the day, the state of the pupil’s health is assessed and the parents contacted if necessary.
- Healthy, nutritionally balanced and appetising meals are prepared by an outside catering company with the likes and appetites of active, growing girls in mind. Special dietary needs are accommodated as far as possible.
- Boarders may use the school’s sporting facilities.
- The boarders’ academic progress and prep sessions are monitored by the Head of Boarding, an academic staff member who resides on the property.
- Academic support in some subjects (at no additional cost) is offered during the evenings.
- Outings and trips are arranged over weekends, while the games room and TV room are popular social areas.
The school counsellor, nursing sister and female chaplain are available to cater for the boarders’ emotional and spiritual needs.
“Epworth is more than a school to me, its home.”
~ Alison Enoch, Epworth pupil