At Epworth, we believe that a rounded education includes the opportunity to test your body’s strengths and skills as well as developing academic talents in the classroom. Every girl is encouraged to take part in at least two afternoons of sport each week. We have a wide selection of sporting activities and our top-quality facilities and coaches ensure that there is something for everyone.
Our sporting facilities include six all-weather tennis courts; two hockey/cricket/rugby/soccer fields; five netball courts; four glass-backed squash courts; a dance studio with sprung floor; an artificial hockey surface; a ten-lane, 25m swimming pool and springboard diving facility; a full cross-country course, a gym and two multi-purpose indoor centres with basketball, indoor hockey, netball and tennis courts.
Our girls can choose from highly competitive and physically-challenging sports or try activities that are more social and less technical. Epworth pupils make their mark each year at both the provincial and national level.
Sports on offer:
- Body conditioning
- Stretch and tone
- Cross country
- Artistic swimming
- Indoor hockey
- Water polo
- Canoe polo
Top Fit Programme:
The Top Fit programme caters for the school’s top athletes regardless of age, to prepare them for competition in their chosen sports. During these training sessions, the girls work on physical, mental and social skills in a fun yet challenging atmosphere. The girls are kept in touch with training myths and trends and are guided to prevent over-training.
Our girls may take part in Adventure Sports Tours, such as hiking in the wilderness, sea kayaking around Mauritius, trail running and mountain biking in pristine KZN locations and paddling down the Orange River, as well as participating in multi-sport challenges.
Our recent sporting achievements include:
- Top canoeing school in South Africa:
- 12 SA Schools’ Canoe Sprints titles
- Winner of the Inter-schools’ Canoeing League for 13 consecutive years
- Two-time winner of KZN Schools’ K1 River Championships
- 21 SA Top Schools’ Squash titles
- 29 KZN Top Schools’ Squash titles
- Two-time winner of the Senior Midlands Cross-Country League
- Two-time winner of the Junior Midlands Cross-Country League
- Two-time winner of the Inter-schools’ Adidas Athletics Relay
- Winner of the SPAR KZN Regional Hockey Tournament
- 14 SA representatives or top 10 SA-ranked sportswomen
“At Epworth pupils are encouraged to do their best at sport. The sports coaches help you grow and achieve your goals. The Epworth spirit is so wonderful as your friends support you on and off the sporting field.”
~ Grade 9 Epworth pupil